Leven Street, Edinburgh
Colourful, lively bar popular with students and workers alike for its good craic and great cocktails.
The 2016 edition of The List's Eating & Drinking Guide is out now – only £5.95 (+p&p).
This review is taken from the 2015 edition.
Snugly situated where Tollcross teeters into Bruntsfield, the design of this sleek tavern reflects its target market – modern, discreetly affluent and fashionably turned out. Equally welcoming to drinkers and diners, the food is a cut above that offered by most local saloons, with innovative starters including deep-fried arancini balls, oozing with cheese in a rich tomato reduction. Paired with a generous glass of the house white – crisp sauvignon blanc – it’s a lovely way to whet your appetite. Mains include a yellow fish curry (using fish of the day) served with squash, chickpeas and a raw slaw, as well as a pie of the day or tempting seasonal stew. Those after a serious sugar hit could go for chocolate tablet waffles for dessert, but the house batch cocktails make an equally appealing finale – try a palate-cleansing Clover Club. There’s live music to enjoy along with your pint at the regular Sunday sessions, and with a sun-trap beer garden for the warmer months, the Blackbird is a welcoming spot at any time of year.
- High point: Artistic interior matches the quality of food and drink
- Low point: It's a popular spot, so unless you book a table, you may have to hover at the bar
- Notable dish: Yellow fish curry
- Private dining: 35 in dining section.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Lively beats.
- Live entertainment: Sunday sessions live music with local musicians. Also have live music at special events e.g. New Year and Blackbird's birthday.
- Capacity: 60 (plus 60 in garden)
- Largest group: 64
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Share this Post
Green tea powder
Naturally Mood Enhancing Matcha contains L-theanine, an amino acid known to relax the mind. For this reason, matcha is also…Read More
Boston Tea Party Historical
Having accidentally arrived at Boston upon a visit to a Friend the evening before the meeting of the body of the People on…Read More