Hard Iced Tea
Did you know they don’t sell hard alcohol on Sundays in Texas?
Did you know they don’t sell hard alcohol — at all — in supermarkets in Texas?
That last fact would have been *super* helpful last week and would have kept me from:
(1) walking around the Beer and Wine section of the grocery store for a good 15 minutes with a look of bewilderment AND
(2) looking like a completely clueless and alcoholic tourist when I went up to a store employee and innocently asked where all the hard liquor was.
Fortunately, the nice lady at the store sweetly asked, “You’re not from Texas, are you?”
Nope. Now I know.
After walking to the nearest liquor store slightly shamed, I had some Sweet Tea Vodka in my hot little hands. That’s right, baby: Sweet Tea Vodka!
So, I thought: What better way to enjoy sweet tea flavored vodka than in a Hard Sweet Tea, right? Right!
After brewing some black tea and making a simple syrup, I decided to try the Deep Eddy Vodka over ice to see what it was all about. Let me share a little lesson I then learned…
Sweet tea flavored vodka is still … vodka! Needless to say, I took too large a swig (you know me and my sweet tea) and found myself at the sink. Oops. (And, yes, I am well aware I am a complete softie.)
This Hard Sweet Tea is the perfect combination of ice cold sweet tea, vodka, fresh lemon and mint. It’s incredibly refreshing and delicious.
I like to make enough simple syrup and iced tea ahead of time so I can easily make this tasty cocktail on a whim.
So, kick up your feet, take a deep breath and enjoy a Lacey’s “Hard” Sweet Tea as this hot summer comes to a close.
If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think by leaving a comment and rating it. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #asweetpeachef on Instagram! I LOVE seeing what you come up with. Enjoy!
Lacey's "Hard" Sweet Tea
This Hard Sweet Tea is the perfect combination of ice cold sweet tea, vodka, fresh lemon and mint. It's incredibly refreshing and delicious.
Author: Lacey Baier of A Sweet Pea Chef
Recipe type: Easy
- 2 oz. Sweet Tea Vodka (produced by Firefly, Seagram, Jeremiah Weed, Burnett's, Sweet Carolina, Depp Eddy, etc.)
- 1 oz. simple syrup
- 1 oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus extra for splash
- 4 oz. freshly brewed black tea, cold
- 2-3 fresh mint leaves, whole, plus more for garnish
- ice (for shaking and for serving)
- sliced lemon, for garnish
- To make a simple syrup, combine 1 cup granulated sugar with 1 cup water (or just equal parts, if making more or less) in a medium sauce pan. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until it begins to boil and sugar is completely dissolved. Allow to cool.
- In a Cocktail Shaker, add ice, followed by Sweet Tea Vodka, simple syrup, lemon juice and black tea. Top with fresh mint leaves. Close shaker and shake vigorously for about 1 minute, or until condensation starts to appear on the shaker.